Friends of Lafayette Animal Shelter
Friends of Lafayette Animal Shelter
MISSION: To enhance the quality of life for the dogs, cats, birds and other companion animals in the care of Lafayette Animal Shelter and Care Center (LASCC) and other animal shelters and welfare agencies in the greater Lafayette area, to end euthanasia as the primary means of population control, and to reduce the number of homeless animals at LASCC.
GOALS: To meet the objectives of this organization it shall:
• Provide community education regarding spaying and neutering;
• Focus on decreasing shelter admissions and increasing live release rates at the shelter until there are no more homeless pets;
• Increase the demand for homeless pets by holding and participating at local adoption events;
• Create Outreach Program to inspire positive action on behalf of animals in our communities; and
• Be the "goodwill ambassadors for animals" and become the leading resource for integrating animal welfare initiatives in Lafayette Parish, Louisiana.
We are so happy that you are adopting! FLASh is not a shelter. Our primary focus is to help dogs and cats find a home, and to prevent them from entering a shelter. We work with the Lafayette Animal Shelter and Care Center, to help promote adoptions from the shelter and to help make the animals' time there a little better.
We work with the public to assist them with their pets, or to assist them with rehoming, if that is the only option.
At times, we take an animal into our program, to be placed for adoption, if there is a foster parent available. All of our adoptable animals are spayed or neutered, have received their vaccinations and are microchipped. All dogs have been heartworm-tested and are on preventative.
Every adopter receives:
* all veterinary records for the adopted pet
* lifetime microchip registration
* a new Martingale collar or Gooby harness (depending on the size of the dog)
* 30 days free pet veterinary insurance from PetFirst
* a coupon book from Petco loaded with terrific coupons
* a goody bag with treats and other gifts to you from us, for your new friend
A few things to note:
-- For all potential adoptions, we will ask to be allowed to do a home visit.
-- All pets presently in the home must be spayed or neutered.
-- You must be 21 years old to adopt.
We take our responsibility to the animals in our care very seriously, and work very hard to get them into homes that will provide a lifetime of love, safety, and care.
Our Adoption Process
The first step, after you have chosen the furry friend you are interested in, is to fill out our adoption application.
Please be sure to check your email - we will be responding to you.
We take special care to move quickly on adoption applications. As soon as we receive your application, we will contact you. The next step will be to set up a time for us to come to your home for a short visit.
Together we will schedule a time to complete the adoption, do a little paperwork, and take a Family Photo (you and your new friend). You can view the Adoption Contract here (http://flashlafayette.rescuegroups.org/info/file?file=24391.pdf)
The average length of time for our adoptions, from the time we receive your application until the adoption is finalized is 7-10 days.
Please keep in mind we can get several applications on one dog or cat, we review all applications in the order in which we receive them.
Please also keep in mind that we are all volunteers, with full-time jobs. :) Thank you for your patience and understanding.
FLASh is a private, non-profit organization. We receive no funding from any government organizations.