Toxic Foods For Dogs: Grapes, Raisins, And Sultanas
Veterinarians in the recent studies found that grapes, raisins can cause various issues and kidney failure in dogs. It is not clear that the failure is due to the toxic nature of grapes and raisins in animals, or it is a new one. But the data stats show that illness or death in dogs has increased after eating after they have eaten raisins or grapes which are toxic foods for dogs.
Issue After Eating Toxic Foods For Dogs
Grapes, raisins, and sultanas are considered as toxic nature food as studies revealed in the past few years. They result in various issues and kidney failure in dogs. This study was carried in 1998, and by 2001 Animal Poison Control Centre (APCC) had documented cases for this and registered it to be a real syndrome. In a 2003 survey, members of the various organizations told that they had treated at least 1 case of a grape, raisin, or toxic sultana affected dogs.
There are various researches done, but still, the reason for the development of renal failure due to these foods in dogs is still unknown. Further research is needed to understand the reason for failure
The Toxic Dose
Dogs can develop kidney failure after two-three days after the ingestion of these foods. But the main problem exists with knowing about when your dog has had a toxic dose? This is very difficult to find as many dogs can easily eat these foods without any issues while other dogs get ill after eating only one or two-part. The estimated amounts of grapes which cause kidney injury is less as compare to Raisins and sultanas. They are more powerful. So if you feel any abnormality with your dog, consult your vet.
Following are the symptoms which your dog will show after eating grapes, raisins, or sultanas:
Pain in abdomen
Increased in water drinking
Clinically your vet may ask for blood tests for checking increased blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, calcium, etc. They can also ask about urination.
As an immediate treatment for your dog, your vet will most likely induce vomiting via an injection followed by activated charcoal. If your dog has taken a large amount and started vomiting by them, intravenous fluid therapy will be a good option. In severe cases, dialysis of the blood is also done to support the kidneys. Your vet will take the decision what dose to be given
The foods like Grapes, sultanas, and raisins are popular in homes as children are like them the most. So for avoiding your dog’s reach, it is best to be vigilant and keep food away from them. Don’t keep food where your dog can access them. It’s better to give food to children in front of you only. This will help to avoid you and your dog’s visit to the vet. A visit to the vet will cause you a high amount, and various tests will empty your pocket.